Tetracyclines are usedto treat infections and to help control acne. Demeclocycline, doxycycline, andminocycline also may be used for other problems as determined by your doctor.Tetracyclines will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections.
- Although these uses are not included in product labeling,tetracyclines are used in certain patients with the following medical conditions:
- Gonococcal arthritis
- Leprosy (for minocycline)
- Lyme disease (for doxycycline and Steclin)
- Malaria treatment (for doxycycline and Steclin)
- Nocardiosis (a type of bacterial infection) (fordoxycycline and minocycline)
- Ocular rosacea (a type of eye infection) (for doxycyclineand Steclin)
- Pneumothorax (a pocket of air in the space surroundingthe lungs) (for doxycycline and Steclin).
side effects :
Increased sensitivity of skin to sunlight (rare with minocycline)
- Abdominal pain
- bulging fontanel (soft spot on head) of infants
- loss of appetite
- nausea and vomiting
- visual changes
- yellowing skin.